Repairs & Maintenance
This section tells you about who is responsible for repairs to your home, and how to report a repair.
All of our employees carry identity cards. For your own safety please ensure that you ask to see their identity card before you let them into your home.
If you are unable to keep to your appointment, please call immediately on 0345 850 9994. Please note that for emergency repairs, you must be available for 24 hours from reporting the repair – if not, you may be charged for a wasted visit, or be asked to call in when you are available for 24 hours.
Luminus is responsible for maintaining the structure and exterior of your home, its main services and the communal areas in blocks of flats*. In particular, Luminus is responsible for:
The structure of your home:
- Gutters and rainwater pipes
- Window frames and external doors
Areas outside of your home:
- Steps and paths
- Drains and soakaways
- Garages and sheds owned by Luminus
- Fencing (please refer to our Fencing policy)
- Lifts, heating, plant and lighting in communal areas.
The services and fittings in your home:
- Plumbing and pipes
- Heating and appliances
- Installations for the supply of water, gas, electricity and sanitation (we will provide either a gas or an electric supply for cooking facilities; if you require a different supply to the one provided, you will need to request our written permission before arranging this work independently by a qualified registered professional)
- Baths, basins and sinks
- Internal walls (plastering but not decorative finishes such as Artex)
- Communal equipment: lifts, heating plant and lighting of communal areas
- Smoke alarms and C02 alarms where fitted by Luminus.
*Except if due to malicious damage, misuse or negligence where no crime number has been reported.
You are responsible for the items listed below:
Home and garden
- Clearance of blockages in waste pipes and toilets caused by lack of care (e.g. cooking waste, nappies, excessive toilet roll, wet wipes, sanitary items)
- Fitting draught excluders on internal doors
- Managing excessive condensation
- Various pests. Please see our page on dealing with pests & rodents.
- Maintaining your garden
- Keeping the property in good condition internally.
Fixtures and Fittings
- Fixtures and fittings, such as curtain rails
- Replacing light bulbs, fluorescent tubes and their starter mechanisms
- Internal doors, including handles and fittings and adjusting doors for carpet fitting
- Replacing locks and lost keys
- Replacing sink plugs and chains
- De-scaling baths, sanitary ware and kitchen sinks
- Replacing toilet seats
- Repairing/renewing gate catches
- Child locks (other than for upstairs windows) and security chains.
The list above is not exhaustive and is only to be used as a guideline. If for some reason you are unable to carry out any of these tasks please contact us on 0345 850 9994. We will charge you if we carry out this work on your behalf.
Please see our Repair FAQs section for answers to frequently asked questions about repairs to your home.
Please see our Maintenance page for more information on the essential maintenance work we must do, and any planned maintenance work we may do, on your home.
To report a repair, please call our Service Centre on 0345 850 9994. Our offices are open from 9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Thursday; and 9.00am to 4:30pm on Friday. Our busiest times are between 9.00am and 10.00am, particularly on a Monday, so if your repair is not urgent please call back, or wait for the option to leave a message. You can also email email@example.com.
When you phone, be ready to give us your name, address and phone number, so we can arrange access to your home.
Our friendly staff are here to help. Abusive or threatening language by our customers will not be tolerated.
Please call 0345 850 9994. Out of hours calls will only be attended where there is a risk to security, health or safety. For all other repairs contact us in normal office hours.
Luminus will charge you the cost of an out of hours visit where it is found that the reason for the request does not meet with the emergency criteria.
Examples of the types of issues that qualify as emergencies are:
- Serious flooding and burst pipes (where the stopcock cannot be turned off)
- Dangerous structures
- Dangerous and major electrical faults/total loss of electrics or lighting
- Gas leaks (always contact Transco immediately on 0800 111999)
- Heating failures where vulnerable tenants are at risk (autumn/winter only)
- Blocked drains where sewerage is overflowing (contact Anglian Water in the first instance on 0800 145 145).