We will inspect your home and explain what you will need to do before you move out.

We will look for repairs that will need to be made, check that any alterations you have made have been authorised by us and are acceptable, and that the property is clean and safe for the new tenant to move in. We will also advise what you can and cannot leave behind. If the work or repairs are not to an acceptable standard we will charge you for the cost for carrying the work out.

What should I do if I wish to end my tenancy?

If you wish to end your tenancy you must notify us, in writing, at least four full weeks before you intend leaving your home. All tenancies begin and end on a Monday and all keys to your home must be returned by 12 noon on the day that your notice to end your tenancy ends.

If keys are returned after that date (which must be a Monday) you will be charged for the next week’s rent.

When you give us notice to end your tenancy, we will write to you to explain the process in detail. We will also send you key tags so that you can make sure that  all keys are labelled clearly with your name and address when you return them to us.

What happens during the notice period?

We will visit you at home, to discuss what you need to do before you leave. During this visit we will assess what repairs/damage (if any) you are responsible for.

In the meantime we will be identifying a new tenant to move into your home, and by arrangement with you, will allow them to view the property.

What state do you expect me to leave my home in when I go?

We expect you to leave your former home clean and clear of all your personal belongings and refuse. This includes the gardens, roof space, and any outbuildings or sheds.  Any repairs not due to fair wear and tear are your responsibility and if they have to be carried out by us, after you leave, you will be charged for them.

Can I leave items in my home for the new tenant, for example a carpet that is in good condition?

Please discuss this with a member of staff who will agree with you what can be left. If the new tenant does not want the item, and we have to dispose of it, we may charge you.

I have handed in my notice, but I have a partner/lodger living with me who wishes to stay in the property. What should I do?

You must give us vacant possession of your home. If not, we may need to take court proceedings to regain possession of your home, and require you to pay costs and charges for the property while it cannot be rented to somebody else. Unless you are a Fixed Term tenant, notice to end a tenancy is valid, even if given by only one of the joint tenants. The other joint tenant will have to move out when the tenancy ends.

Who else should I tell that I am moving?

Remember to tell all organisations who need to know your new address:

  • Council Tax
  • Housing Benefit
  • The Department for Work and Pensions
  • Utility companies
  • Bank/building societies and credit companies
  • Social Services
  • School/libraries
  • TV licensing
  • GP, Dentist etc.

When you leave, please make sure you have:

  • Paid all your rent
  • Left no one in occupation
  • Removed all your possessions and property from home and garden
  • Left the premises clean and tidy, including garden and outbuildings
  • Left internal decorations in a good condition
  • Reinstated any fixtures and fittings, as agreed with Luminus, making good any damage and any alterations
  • Notified the water, gas and electricity companies
  • Returned all keys (and key fobs) to our head office by noon on the tenancy end date (including window locks and shed keys, where applicable)
  • Given us a forwarding address


Keys and key fobs

You will be given a date of when you need to return all keys and key fobs to our head office in Huntingdon. If you do not return them by the agreed date, you will have to pay additional rent.

Further information

For more clarification of what we expect when you leave a Luminus property, please call 0345 266 9760.